View Single Post
Old
05-02-2013, 04:43 PM
Blue Blooded

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
You know it's nice to look at, and it's also nice to be able to brag that our 3rd line center had a significantly higher HART than their super ultra elite #1 center, however as you said "too many variables". Too many variables means you get things like a solid but unspectacular defenseman on the best team in the league is 3rd. Just too much chance for error. Too many possible loose correlations. Too many factors that affect each of the variables. That's why I like GF% because it reduces the variables and thus chances for weird results.
True. It's a problem with these "overall play" ratings, sometimes you feel that it is unclear what they are actually measuring, and how they are doing it. GVT for example is extremely complex and includes some assumptions that I'm not 100% sure I agree with.

I looked at the bottom of the HART chart and found that both Lee Stempniak and Matt Stajan (two of the top forwards in DGVT) had HARD ratings in the negative 100's. It seems like for HARD, a bad goaltender can destroy your rating pretty easily (Kiprusoff had by far the worst GVT in the league).

As with all of these "overall play" ratings, take the results with a pinch of salt. They are likely an indicator, but you will also likely need other data for proper context.