View Single Post
Old
05-02-2013, 03:50 PM
Eskimo44

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micklebot View Post
While I don't disagree, the Sens durring Jaques Martin's tenure were very defensively oriented as well. Also, as far as star power goes, Niedermayer and Rafalski were 2 of the top offensive Dmen of out there. From 97-2000, Jersey was a top 10 scoring team though they haven't done better than middle of the league since.

As far as deserving more credit, I definitely agree on that front. Tremendous player.
Yeah i understand that i more meant to convey over their whole careers New Jersey has been the mosre defensive club year in and year out. Elias only really established himself in 98-99 so he didn't benifit too much from those years. Also being a top 10 scoring team in those years i'd imagine meant less goals than being a top 10 scoring team post lockout has been. And Redden and Chara offered a fairly comparable situation for Alfredsson, although not quite on the same level. When i talked of star power i more meant Alfredssons best years were with arguably on the most loaded line in the league with Spezza and Heatley (not to mention Hossa and Havlat being around before that). Elias' best running mate in terms of chemistry that i can remember was a young Sykora (although he's certainly had some other good linemates too), i just don't think that's on the same level. Fair points though and if someone said Alfredsson>Elias i wouldn't bat an eye.

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote