View Single Post
Old
05-02-2013, 05:17 PM
Jets
Resident Sieve

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by scryan View Post
Kind of a general question... Should I just jump into pickup games?

Grew up with a brother that played, and was kind of forced into the hockey life myself... I roller bladed, and we all played hockey out on basket ball courts... but never ice or league for me.
That was 15-20 years ago, and I have gotten into hockey again... and came up with the idea to play goalie. Hit up craigslist, bought evering and set out to learn to iceskate
So I have been to like 3 sticktimes, and have been out skating like 8 times
My brother says just go play pickup, they need goalies so bad anything is worth having. I like to be ready to go, so I wanted to get SOME basic ability first.

I let quite a bit in, but I can kinda skate, and stop a few so long as they aim for my head. I don't go down to my knees nearly enough and am pretty bad at moving butterfly... But I have caught the puck AT LEAST 3 times.
Well, actually I gopro'ed last sticktime and put it on youtube for storage...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR8VJ...zVAdi6R3pFcUwg
I'd say I am basically at the point of starting to get comfortable with what I am supposed to do, but far from being able to do it well/on time
Im thinking do at least one more sticktime and spend most of it on recovery and butterfly slides...
Should I practice up for pickup games, or is that taking them too serious?
I feel like if I were playing out, I would be slightly annoyed with me in goal
Absolutely go for it. I watched your first video and you can definitely skate well enough that you can learn to stop pucks by just playing. You don't have to play on a great team in a great division (obviously) but the best way to get good is to just play it and get a lot of shots in the games.

Also for the going down and covering more net, I'd say work on shuffles, sculling(bubbles) and t pushes to improve your balance and allow you to go down quicker and with more control.

For me starting out, I had the luxury of attending numerous camps with Rick St.Croix (now the Leafs goalie coach) and I still started my first year in the lowest league as a 9 year old after playing house league as a winger my first 3 years of hockey prior to that. However, that year was extremely beneficial because I saw a ton of shots. We used to get scored on 7 times a game on average, but it helped me out immensely. Go for it and get some experience under your belt.

Jets is offline   Reply With Quote