View Single Post
Old
09-17-2006, 07:15 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
if Dawes and Prucha outplay Shanny and Straka, should they play instead? I don't think it's that simple.

I disagree that it's as easy as Dawes playing better than Prucha in a couple preseason games against kids and AHLers (an exaggeration, admittedly) to supplant him at a position in which he was this team's second leading scorer last season. I know we disagree on what training camp's for, but for me, it would take a bit more than a good camp to beat-out a guy we saw score 30 goals last season. Renney does imply that he's not going to look hard and long at kids who don't catch his attention fast because his main objective is to get guys like Cullen, Shanny, Ward, etc., acclimated to their new surroundings and new system, as well as get used to the guys with whom they'll be playing. It's always a tough balance because you need to prepare for a season and certain guys use preseason for different things (vets are looking to get into game shape and get their timing down while avoiding injury).
Fletch I think it is that simple. If Dawes plays better and shows more chemistry with the established vets than Dawes should get that spot. It could come down to a number of different reasons but I think you are forgetting that playing on the 2nd and 3rd lines is not that different. This team has players that can play on any line so what's the big deal? Pruchas one good season showed a lot but it still shouldn't be handed to him. I bet before Straka and Shanny were established vets they had to fight for ice time.

All i know is if Dawes and one of Immonen/Dubinsky make the team out of camp thats two more young players added to the mix of young forwards.

Renney has already indicated his thinking with Prucha and playing on a 3rd line with Betts isn't a bad thing. It isn't like the ice is tilted to the opponent when the third line is on the ice. Prucha showed last season that the whole "its who you play with" mantra that was cried for years about Manny and Lundmark was false. He made the most of his chances and should do the same this year...

The thing we both know is the lines on opening night might not be the lines the second game of the season. It's nice that we are talking about good young players fighting for roles on this team. Maybe, Finally Hockey IS different here..

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote