View Single Post
Old
05-02-2013, 08:55 PM
Hershey Hockey
#AskNeal

vCash: 500
I've held the (I think unpopular) opinion for most of this season that the Islanders should not resign Mark Streit. I think by the end of this series, no matter what happens, that opinion will be even more solidified. Yesterday proved to me there is no next-level to his game. Lackadaisical puck movement and no urgency. I'm not at all saying he's the scapegoat. The whole team sucked. But as team captain, what kind of example does that set?

I know everyone says leadership isn't necessarily defined by the letter on the jersey, but I think the day John Tavares is named captain of this team will be a defining day in the process of this team becoming a true perennial contender.

I think this series will provide a clear look at who are and are not the leaders on this team. Streit has done everything to prove he is not a leader. I think this series will perpetuate that. Tavares showed some emotion in game one, but not much else. I fully expect him to step up and provide a spark for this team, but for that to happen Capuano needs to sack up and break up his line.

Whether this is the only series we play in the playoffs this year or not, I hope Garth Snow uses what happens in this postseason as a guide for what he needs to do to build for the future. I think we will see more of the same. Guys like Streit and Boyes do not belong in the future of this team. Moulson should only be kept around long enough for his replacement to be found. But I also think there will be some surprises. Guys like Bailey, Cizikas, and maybe even a wild card like Aucoin will step up and prove their worth.

Bottom line, even if we get our ***** kicked in four games, we needed this. The rebuild ended with the playoffs becoming a reality. Now it's time to take the next step from becoming a fringe team making it in as the 8-seed to playing full and complete successful season and being a top-seeded, serious contender.

Last edited by Hershey Hockey: 05-03-2013 at 11:02 AM. Reason: forgot some words
Hershey Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote