View Single Post
Old
05-03-2013, 03:03 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipsADrive View Post
Anyone have any strong opinions on Lindholm?

I'd like the Oilers to pick up a centreman in this draft and while I'd prefer Monahan it seems unlikely he'll slip past Calgary. Does Lindholm have the type of 2-way ability that the Oilers would need from a 2C behind RNH?
No, but neither does Malkin behind Crosby

Let's not get it twisted here - Lindholm is much more offensively dynamic, while being just as good as Monahan defensively. The difference between the two is "intangibles". Monahan is able to take the temperature of the game and apply it to his play. Sometimes he's the guy setting the temperature. This is of course in a league featuring teenagers, while Lindholm is busy playing men in the SEL.

Again, they are 2 different types of players:
Lindholm - Backstrom's skillset in Marcus Johansson's frame, with MoJo's grittiness as well. He doesn't shy away from contact - the same way Lars Eller plays currently in MTL. Guys like him don't grow on trees. He's essentially another 1C - but wouldn't look bad in a 2C role. To have 2 defensively sound C's like RNH/Lindholm heading forward would make this team much much better - especially seeing how the plan is to use offensively gifted wingers to score. I see 60-70pt potential in this guy, with solid 2-way performance. May not hit everything like Monahan does - but will be effective in his own way.

Monahan - David Backes. Skates hard, hits hard, has decent hands to boot. Might take Monahan a couple years to reach that 220 frame that Backes carries, but he's got the hockey sense, physicality, 2-way awareness, and complete game to fit in as the prototypical 2C. May not be the best compliment to players like Yakupov - but you could build a useful line around this guy. 40-50pt potential with impactful 2-way play.