View Single Post
Old
05-03-2013, 08:36 AM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
This is a really big pet peeve of mine and I don't know why people continually bring it up...conference strength means next to nothing in the OHL because there aren't conference schedules. The Colts played Owen Sound more than just about every Eastern Conference team. If you want to compare strength of schedule you can make that argument, but to do so effectively you would have to add up the combined records of the opponents of each team. Even that has it's flaws, as their opponents also had unbalanced schedules...
Correct me if I am wrong, but the west plays the east once at home and once on the road all year so two times total right? (so I am not sure how Barrie played Owen Sound more than twice or more than any other Eastern team). But that is not my point.

I will exagerate for a moment to see if I can explain it better:
Ottawa is a horrible team. Lets say for a moment that the entire eastern conference was made up of teams just like Ottawa and then there is one good team, Barrie.
So Barrie wins most of the games all year against the 'Ottawa's' and ends up with a great record. In doing so, lets say against the western conference they are a .500 team - and lets say that they end up with 50 wins total for the year.
Their 50 wins is not as impressive as 50 wins is for a Western conference team as it is a tougher conference.
Going back to what I said about the Knights being 18-2 against the East, might also help the point that the East isn't as strong.