View Single Post
Old
05-03-2013, 09:45 AM
SprDaVE

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by egd27 View Post
Joking aside, I think this is actually a huge issue.

The Leafs D seems to be afraid to shoot the puck for some reason. There were so many times that the a Leafs D had the puck in the offensive zone and tried to make a play instead of shooting I lost count.

It's certainly not on par with some of the complex analysis that gets presented here, but look at Boston's goals.

1. Point shot - partial screen
2. Point shot - tipped
4. Point shot - goalie gaffe

The Bruins D took 14 shots on Reimer, the Leafs D took 4.

Let's face it, the Leafs are not going to cycle and maintain a ton of offensive zone pressure against the Bruins, so to me, any opportunity to shoot on net needs to be taken. Especially by the D.
I definitely agree. The Leafs D try too much to find the perfect pass to set up a perfect play. They cycle the puck for too long around the boards and eventually the other team just breaks it up. It's been a big problem in the last 3 weeks.

Just look at the Sens game last night. 3 shots from the blue line, albeit one was a garbage goal from Price, and they created a goal with traffic and net crashing.

We need more shots from the defense to get the rebound. Enough with the drop passes and the endless cycle of puck movement to the outside. Pass and boom on net, jump on the rebound. It's simple but the Leafs sometimes make it so complicated for nothing.

Leafs have good point shots with Phaneuf, Franson and Liles. With maybe Gardiner back in, that'll be another good shot from the point. They just have to use them.

SprDaVE is online now   Reply With Quote