View Single Post
Old
05-03-2013, 08:45 AM
BernieParent

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Here is my concern: the free agent crop is pretty poor this offseason, so we'd be stuck overpaying for a guy who's either significantly older (Streit) or not significantly better (Hainsey) for multiple years going forward. That means less flexibility after next season, when we've got a number of guys to get re-signed and, at least potentially, there are better free agent options (though I'm sure that will change).

In a contract year, if healthy, I think Meszaros will be quite good. In fact, I'm more concerned that he'll play his way into a stupid extension than burden the blue-line. All of that could change if he's really not going to be healthy, of course, but in that case, I think it would be difficult to move him.
I won't disagree with this statement. However, if I were writing it, here's what I'd do:

In a contract year, if healthy, I think Meszaros will be quite good.

He's talented, has offensive upside and is a hard hitter, but his body cannot take the rigours of an NHL game, much less a schedule.

I understand the minimal options out there to replace Meszaros, but if I'm Paul Holmgren, I get that $4 million in cap space available as soon as possible. And, by the way, Meszaros' actual salary for this year is $5.5 million. We like to toss out our opinion that money is no object to Mr. Snider, but I don't think his accountants are smiling about paying out for little actual return.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote