View Single Post
Old
05-03-2013, 09:47 AM
leftwinger37

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
this must be an american rink thing? here in western canada all the programs that run out of the rinks are seperate from the rink itself. the program will rent the ice and thats as involved as the arena staff get.
I think this is the secret to success. A few rinks here in the Metro Detroit area have started using an outside entity to run their leagues and the level of organization has improved dramatically.

To echo the sentiments of other posters, there really isn't any incentive for the rinks to invest time and/or resources into running an adult league or clinics. I always call the rink before I do a stick and puck or drop-in because I know cash is king and if somebody wants to rent the ice they will win out over the handfull of guys that show up at five bucks a pop.

On Sunday nights, I go to a private drop-in and the guy who runs it has been getting 6:00 PM ice at this rink for about 25 years like clockwork. I have been attending for the last 5 years and we always have a good turn out and, until recently, have always hit the ice at 6:00 sharp. With the hard times that the rink has gone through in the last few years with the economic down turn and all, you would think they would be happy to have/retain a paying customer. Wrong. In the past year, we have been bumped numerous times and during the summer on a couple of occasions, there was nobody at the rink to let us in. When we do get on the ice we are lucky if we get a Zambo swipe... Unfortunately, it looks like a sign of the times.

leftwinger37 is offline   Reply With Quote