View Single Post
Old
05-03-2013, 10:29 AM
pelts35.com

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK Triple Threat View Post
You could find 18-20 decent non contracted guy(especially for vets that are career minor leaguers)the real problem with it is the finances around operating costs and a roster. It could work in the short term I believe. A team like Hershey might be the exception and could do it long term.
Since the veteran rule doesn't apply to goalies you could easily get 2 very good vet goalies, but it would be very difficult to field a competitive team with unsigned low level draft picks and free agents.

However, I will disagree with you that it could work in the short term. If anything I think a team like this would be better in the long term as said unsigned low level draft picks and free agents could develop chemistry over years of playing together that today's AHL teams lack given the roster turnover season after season. I liken this to some of the smaller NCAA Division I basketball teams that do well in the NCAA tournament because they can keep their players for 4 seasons rather than losing blue chip prospects to the NBA after 1 or 2 seasons.

Last edited by pelts35.com: 05-03-2013 at 10:56 AM.
pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote