View Single Post
Old
05-03-2013, 10:32 AM
tjcurrie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Your argument is flawed for one major reason. You are using raw age without regard to years of service. Neither is a perfect comparison tool but you can't simply use one and ignore the other. When Eriksson was 18 he was playing in Sweden; same with Zetterberg. A lot of those guys were either playing in a foreign country until they were 20 or in the minors, etc.

One thing you have to acknowledge before people will take you seriously is that it is possible to rush a prospect. It's possible that if Gagner had played another year or two of hockey before joining the big leagues that he could have been a more refined player from the outset. As it is, we have a player with a plethora of 40+ point seasons. What to make of that?...

You keep saying how young he is, which is true. The other side of the coin is that he is already a 6 year veteran. Some players do continue to improve after six years in the league, but many don't.
Like I said, I'd be very hesitant. The reason it's tempting though is because we do get a younger player and an organizational need. You could argue we'd have another organizational need if we dealt Loui for Gagner, but we do have a lot of wingers both on the roster and in the system - a center is a priority and harder to find. For those reasons, it's tempting.

You're right though that although Gagner is only 23, he has been around for quite some time now so his years at this point can't be compared to guys who began at say age 21 or 22. I don't think Gagner is a #1 center, but a good #2.

tjcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote