View Single Post
Old
05-03-2013, 12:49 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

vCash: 500
I would imagine the NHL wouldn't say one word about the AHL when and if they granted NHL expansion franchises.

Once they did, however, I would imagine that the new NHL franchise holders would quickly decide whether they wished to own their own NHL franchise, or just look around to affiliate with one owned by someone else. So, they might choose to purchase an expansion franchise from the AHL and own their own team. As mentioned before, there might be dual affiliate teams in the AHL for a while. Or, the NHL team that was replaced by the expansion NHL team's affiliation might decide to go purchase an expansion AHL franchise... etc etc.

At the same time, it is POSSIBLE that local ownership groups who may have been looking to enter the AHL might start talking with the new NHL teams about getting an affiliation, then taking that affiliation to the AHL for an AHL expansion franchise.

There are many potential paths. The details of who the NHL expansion owners would be and which AHL owners are in which situations, etc, would be the driving factors, as I see it.

Since I'm still skeptical that NHL expansion is on the table at all, my guess is that this will remain a theoretical discussion for quite some time.

HansH is online now   Reply With Quote