View Single Post
05-03-2013, 03:22 PM
vCash: 955
New concussion paper here.

An anecdotal account from Gulli (2011) reported that former professional hockey players experienced symptoms of depression, anxiety, and in some cases suicidal ideation after suffering a concussion. In partial support of this finding, functional magnetic resonance imaging scans of concussed individuals have indicated similar neural responses in brain areas commonly linked with major depression (Chen et al. 2008).
..described challenges with his daily life, and certain endeavors in his post-athletic career.. wondered aloud during the interview, was whether his inability to recollect details such as names and phone numbers resulted from concussions or a natural aging process.. noted that multiple concussions altered his mood and he “became a different person.” He suggested that this altered mood contributed to his failed marriage.. was visibly frustrated with the quality of care he received from inside the game (i.e., team, league), and had it not been for what he called “chance encounters” with caring medical professionals, he feared things may have turned out much differently. Specifically, he admitted he contemplated taking his life as a result of his concussions and the ongoing pain he experienced from his headaches.. all five of the participants said they still experienced concussion symptoms (4–14 years after retirement) in their day-to-day lives..
noted, “There aren’t too many days that go by where I don’t have some type of discomfort in terms of headaches or head pressure. I don’t think it will ever resolve.. You’re on your own little island. . . . You’re not really around the guys because the team doesn’t want you around the guys. They don’t want injured guys around. They don’t want that epidemic around and you’re cast aside.. I was at the point where I’d be driving along and would think about going full speed and hitting the wall. Just end it. The pain was unbelievable. I had headaches every day for a minimum of three and a half years. Not just a little headache where you want to take an aspirin. I almost wanted to scream. If I had a day off
from my headaches it was like I won Super 7. I was ecstatic, I could see, I could think..

Br J Sports Med. 2013 May 1. [Epub ahead of print]
A systematic video analysis of National Hockey League (NHL) concussions, part II: how concussions occur in the NHL.
Hutchison MG, Comper P, Meeuwisse WH, Echemendia RJ.

David L. MacIntosh Sports Medicine Clinic, Faculty of Kinesiology & Physical Education, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

This work aims to describe how concussions occur in the National Hockey League.

Case series of medically diagnosed concussions for regular season games over a 3.5-year period during the 2006-2010 seasons. Digital video records were coded and analysed using a standardised protocol.

88% (n=174/197) of concussions involved player-to-opponent contact. 16 diagnosed concussions were a result of fighting. Of the 158 concussions that involved player-to-opponent body contact, the most common mechanisms were direct contact to the head initiated by the shoulder 42% of the time (n=66/158), by the elbow 15% (n=24/158) and by gloves in 5% of cases (n=8/158). When the results of anatomical location are combined with initial contact, almost half of these events (n=74/158) were classified as direct contact to the lateral aspect of the head.

The predominant mechanism of concussion was consistently characterised by player-to-opponent contact, typically directed to the head by the shoulder, elbow or gloves. Also, several important characteristics were apparent: (1) contact was often to the lateral aspect of the head; (2) the player who suffered a concussion was often not in possession of the puck and (3) no penalty was called on the play

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote