View Single Post
Old
05-03-2013, 05:30 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

vCash: 500
I'm a big fan of high pressure, high offense hockey, but at the same time, you've got to be defensively responsible. The problem with the system in Philadelphia is that it involves the defensemen to be heavily involved in both the offense and the defense and it seems at times that defensemen just get caught and there isn't a fall back in place to protect them.

I think a modification of the system is required, but I don't think a complete overhaul is needed. When they went on their Cup run in 2010, Laviolette had them playing great offense and defense. There was a system in place and everyone knew the roles they were handed and to me, that's the biggest problem right now - knowing exactly what the roles are. There's no game planning other than Giroux is the top offensive center, Couturier is the defensive conscience and all the other forwards are interchangeable. There's no continuity and he's always tinkering and moving guys all over the place (very similar to what Hitchcock used to do).

If Laviolette can instill some defensive discipline and slow the game down a little, the players and the system will be better off. There'll be no need to consistently rush the opponent and they'll be better positionally as a result. Slow things down, let guys get into position and then go from there. There's no need to be playing at break neck speeds all the time. It's funny how the Flyers played some of their best hockey this season down the stretch when they simplified things. That's the approach to take next season.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote