View Single Post
Old
05-03-2013, 08:35 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybaroo View Post
Yeah & their owners have just a wee bit more integrity than Katz. Like I doubt they would agree & then reneg god knows how many times, & move the goalposts seemingly every 5 minutes.
I also doubt they make junkets to Quebec City, Hamilton & Seattle every now & then in a transparent attempt to extort concessions out of their City.
Lastly, I really doubt their greed could equal Katz's.
So at the end of the day, yeah, Im sure their arena negotiations will be just a wee bit smoother than the Oilers,. And thats even without their mayor been a seeming puppet for the ownership group.
Man, you've got a massive grudge against Katz don't you, maybe taking it a bit too personally there.

It's a tough business negotiation involving hundreds of millions of dollars, that just happens to have large media element. There is nothing unusual about the tactics Katz has been using, which have been typical in many arena negotiations over the last 30 years across North America - which includes threats, and actual relocations of major franchises in various sports.

As for the "greed" stuff, which is kind of absurd statement about a man who is very generous to various charities in the community. You don't think his "greed" might have something to do with the fact that the privately funded arenas in this country outside of Toronto have caused significant problems for the owners of those teams? Ottawa - bankrupt, Vancouver - forced to sell the team due to overextending on arena, Montreal - forced to sell majority ownership due to overspending on the Bell Center.

There are very real reasons why Katz is driving a hard line in these negotiations.