View Single Post
Old
01-01-2004, 07:09 PM
nyr5186

vCash: 500
Some drama in the end after Leetch scored to make it 5-4 with about 20 left. But you can put it in the books, Rangers lose.

Its frustrating because our penalty killing and goaltending really let us down tonight. I thought we outplayed and outworked the Blues most of the night, but to no avail. First on the positives...

Lindros: He's playing probably as well as he ever has a Ranger. Not only putting up points, but using his body and playing with a mean streak without taking penalties.

Nedved: Played a good all-around game on both sides of the ice. Worked hard in the corners and created some chances. Plus he unleashed that twisted wrister.

Ortmeyer: What can I say? This kid is (hopefully) gonna be a fan favorite for a long long time. Messier mentioned that he reminds him of Adam Deadmarsh. Not a bad assessment. He's easily our best penalty killer and a wonderful defensive forward. If he could only start scoring, which I think he has the ability to do, he'll be something special.

Now on to the negatives...

Dunham: Played horrible and was out of position on all 4 goals he gave up. I dont know whether its the groin or he's just not in good shape or something else, but its obvious that we're not seeing the same Dunham that basically was our MVP last season. I say we should start using Jussi more until Dunham gets his game back.

Malakhov: Although I cant really blame him on the Danton shortie, he continues his horrid defensive play and continues to live up to his Malacough nickname. A benching is long overdue. Get Bouchard in the game.

Leetch: Although he scored that late goal, he had a tough night. Just didnt seem comfortable with the puck and floated around alot.

Penalty Killing: When you give up 4 PP goals in a game, you know your PK needs work. Ortmeyer did an unbelievable job of killing penalties, but whenever he came off, the Blues always scored. I say keep the kid on the kill for a minute at a time. Dont just give him a short 20 second stint and off. He's young and full of stamina; he could take a little fatigue, especially playing on the 4th line. But in general, most of the PP goals St.Louis scored were from the slot or right in front of the net. You just cant let passes get through and into the slot. The whole idea is to keep the puck to the outside by blocking passes and shots. This can only be done when you pressure the puck and keep the sticks active. Except for Ortmeyer and Rheaume, I dont see anyone laying down their bodies to block shots. And when a shot does get through, you have to be able to clear the crease (no rebounds!). This is where I think we miss Kasparaitis the most and also where Poti should be used the least. But try explaining that to the coach. Also, we must be the worst team at clearing the puck out of the zone. Please, stop with the cute short little passes behind the net! JUST FIRE THE PUCK OUT! Stop trying to spark a perfect breakout!