View Single Post
Old
05-03-2013, 11:22 PM
Dying Alive
Peanut Gallery

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
I have a Mario jersey from mid 90s, does that count me as a bandwagon fan?
Depends on who you ask. In reality? Not even close. In HF terms? Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predatorbill View Post
I really do not consider myself a bandwagon fan. Born in Pittsburgh in 1951, moved to Nashville in 1977. Fan of the Hornets before Pens came to town. My first playoff game that I dramatically remember was Toronto/Pens series in 75/76. Sitting in the upper deck behind the goal, less than a minute into the game, Toronto goalie goes behind the net and Pens run him. In the old days, when you ran the goalie, you flattened him. Bench clearing brawl ensues, we lose the game and ultimately the series.

In 90-91, and 91-92, my wife (who's from Nashville) cheered the Pens to victory. Remember no internet, no direct TV, you had to go to a sports bar and ask them to turn on Penguins hockey (remember I am in Nashville, what's hockey). There were always 15-20 of us so no problem.

Preds come to town we're season ticket holders from day 1. (Wife wants to know why we don't have season tickets in Pittsburgh, when would we go?)

In 2009 I decided that I wanted to see the Stanley cup finals. Get tickets to Game one third row at regular price at the Joe. Flew up day of the game. If you haven't been to the Joe you need to go before it closes. Gordie Howe, Terrible Ted Lindsey were all there and approachable for autographs, etc. I was happy I saw a Stanley Cup finals in person.

My favorite Uncle who took me to the Toronto game dies. Obviously I will fly home for funeral. Everyone in my family says while you are up here go to the game, he would have wanted it. If you remember this series was sold out immediately. I go home look at ticket master and there is one ticket available in the lower bowl, I get it and go to the game. I remember walking up the hill to the Igloo, it was great. Everyone is out on the lawn and it was packed. I hold up my ticket and they stared yelling, make a path he has a ticket. So I walk up the hill and they are cheering me on.

So then there was game seven. Actually had to go to Stub Hub for the ticket. Wasn't cheap. But it was game seven who cares. Confiscated my camera. Too long a lens. Sitting with all the Wings fans they believed to the very end that they would win. Got my camera left with 5 minutes to go in the game. (The Wings personnel told me just to come to them and tell them that I was leaving and they would give me my camera. Who leaves game 7. They were being very nice). So I saw the cup skated by the Pens at Joe Louis.

I also have an authenticated autographed Mario jersey.
You are awesome, Bill! (And you're the same age as my dad and have been a fan just about as long!)

Dying Alive is offline   Reply With Quote