View Single Post
Old
05-04-2013, 11:47 AM
habfaninvictoria

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpoulsen View Post
Probably not the right place but I don't understand how people can STILL say that was a clean hit on Eller?
When watching the video in slow motion (from behind the net), you clearly see Eller's head twisting before the shoulder moves. The head is clearly the point of contact. Even if the shoulder and head are hit at the same time, the head is still principle point of contact in my mind ..

And people calling it a "beauty of a hit" .... Even if Eller was not injured it wasn't much of a hit .. It looks nuts because Eller was unconscious from the hit.

People saying it'll turn into No Hitting League because of people getting suspended you still see plenty of great hits with no injury as a result.
This is the type of hit that will be polarizing until the NHL changes it's stance to completely disallow shots to the head, regardless of intent. Yes there will always be accidents that are unavoidable and there needs to be a vehicle for that but..... this was not an accident, the result was, but there is no doubt that Gryba read the play and made a predatory hit to a vulnerable player. Calling it a strong hockey play is only hiding from the truth. It was avoidable and unnecessary. To date players have not been truly held accountable for actions like these and have always been able to hide behind "hockey play", "I didn't know where I was on the ice", "he had his head down", "it's not my fault he's 5'7" and I'm 6'4" ... always excuses in an effort to gain a competitive edge. Let's take the excuses away and move towards making changes that allow the game to be fast and physical but disallow predatory hits.