View Single Post
05-04-2013, 12:01 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
This is the type of hit that will be polarizing until the NHL changes it's stance to completely disallow shots to the head, regardless of intent. Yes there will always be accidents that are unavoidable and there needs to be a vehicle for that but..... this was not an accident, the result was, but there is no doubt that Gryba read the play and made a predatory hit to a vulnerable player. Calling it a strong hockey play is only hiding from the truth. It was avoidable and unnecessary. To date players have not been truly held accountable for actions like these and have always been able to hide behind "hockey play", "I didn't know where I was on the ice", "he had his head down", "it's not my fault he's 5'7" and I'm 6'4" ... always excuses in an effort to gain a competitive edge. Let's take the excuses away and move towards making changes that allow the game to be fast and physical but disallow predatory hits.
Very, very good post.

Your point about the predatory hit is particularly accurate. It describes that kind of play perfectly.