View Single Post
Old
05-04-2013, 03:51 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Well, that's certainly the spectrum of systems. Ottawa has given up more shots on goal than the Flyers per game the last two years, we are roughly even with Chicago, and Detroit has been better 5v5. Ottawa has been more firewagon than we are per se, they just have had great goaltending and when players get hurt, it doesn't turn into a complete disaster.
I'm willing to give MacLean a walk in the shots against department. His teams just seem to stick to the game plan. On top of it, I think Ottawa is a lot better than what they actually should be BECAUSE of MacLean. He's got everyone buying into his system and game plan. Yes, they give up a lot of shots, but at the same time, look at the quality of shots that Anderson and company face. There's a reason why Ben Bishop looked like an all world goaltender in Ottawa. There's a reason why Craig Anderson has recorded some of the best goaltending numbers since Dominik Hasek - it's not about giving up a lot of shots, it's about limiting the number of scoring chances. That's one thing the Senators do really well - they limit the number of scoring chances against them.

On top of it, when you consider the job that MacLean did by working in three top six forwards that were rookies, missing his top point producing center and his number one defenseman and he still managed to get the Sens into the playoffs, that to me says outstanding coaching.

I hope I don't come across as ripping, because I certainly am not ripping on this. I just really think MacLean is a fantastic coach and that he's done a remarkable job in Ottawa.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote