View Single Post
05-05-2013, 12:34 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
When Darryl Sutter was hired, he said it was a 3-2 league, not a 5-4 league. It's becoming a 1-0 league to him.
Yep, we're entering a new low scoring era; scoring has been steadily decreasing since the last lockout's scoring spike. I've seen several theories put together for this. My favorite one is:

1) Better pads for skaters allows for increased shot blocking. Teams can just clog the middle and take away that alley.
2) Large goalie pads combined with the continued evolution of positional/butterfly goaltending means poor angle shots aren't very dangerous anymore.

So you won't be scoring as much from the boards, and getting pucks through the center areas is difficult; makes sense to me, based on what we see. Teams barely bother with board shots anymore (Kane goal aside...) because those shots don't score. We see players fighting for dirty goals, deflections, or the perfect pass. In short, it's just damned difficult to score.

Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.