Thread: Speculation: 2013 Offseason Thread
View Single Post
Old
05-05-2013, 01:35 AM
Alistar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
No, he's not. He's not even a good #7 in the AHL.
haha, your complete hatred of Jordie Benn based on absolutely nothing is humorous as always.

seriously guys, the person who sits in the press box and only plays 20 games a year is going to make some mistakes when he gets out there. Every team has to deal with these types of players when their regulars get injured. Jordie Benn skates well, can move the puck decently, and did a good job on the PK early in the season. He'll also play for league minimum salary which is important for a 7th defenceman in a cap world. Yeah he makes a few mind blowingly bad decisions from time to time, but that's pretty much everyone on our defence.

For some reason hockey fans always seem to single out the guy who is being paid league minimum salary to scapegoat. If Benn was getting paid 3 million a year I could understand it... well Cin in particular seems to have some personal vendetta against Benn so he goes further than most, but believe me - you could do much much worse for 15 minutes a night in this league.

**now that I think more about it, I feel the reason everyone on this forum turned against Benn was because at the start of the year he was way in over his head thanks to Gulutzan. When Aaron Rome was hurt, Dillon was getting his feet wet, and Larsen was (rightly) healthy scratched for crimes against hockey Gulutzan had Jordie Benn out there for like 23 minutes a night and heavy usage on the penalty kill for a stretch of a couple of weeks. On any sane team, Benn would only get 13-15 minutes against the other team's 3rd and 4th lines - in that role he would be perfectly fine.

Sure we can find another guy to do that, I don't think who the 7th d-man is should have any real impact on how the team does over the course of a season. I just can't wait for everyone to start bagging on the next guy who's brought in to fill the same role.

Last edited by Alistar: 05-05-2013 at 01:44 AM.