Thread: Post-Game Talk: Game 2 Plus-Minus Thread
View Single Post
05-05-2013, 02:01 AM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
This stuff is irrational. It shouldn't matter. There is not much tangible you can point to that it did. Except that the team overturning a 3-1 deficit say they feel that way and consider it a rallying point...

Ultimately I agree with Jiggy that the game itself didn't change at all in any way other than the scoreline.

I put as much stock into players considering it a reason one way or another as I do almost any other post-game line they come up with, ie. none.
Two biggest myths in hockey:

1) A fight that changes the momentum of a game. I can guarantee that there are countless more examples of games NOT turning around after a fight than vice versa. The games that do turn around after a fight, probably would have turned around anyway.

2) Calling a timeout to "calm your team down". Funny that there are three TV timeouts during each period, but nobody ever seems to point to that when a team turns a game around after a break. I can't tell you how many times I've seen coaches call a 30 second TO when they're due a TWO MINUTE break literally after the next whistle. Somehow, 30 seconds to tell your team to calm their **** down is somehow smarter and more poignant than treading water for a minute or two until it's time for a break that lasts 90 seconds longer.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote