View Single Post
Old
05-05-2013, 09:38 AM
Mothra
The Groovy Guru

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
Katie (IIRC) has reported that Oates' system is designed, in part, to shelter the D from physical play. Maybe that's paying off?

Anyway, Green's resurgence has really surprised me. After he seemingly reinjured his groin sometime around mid-season I thought he was done.
I just dont see how that works...unless part of his system is telling players dont hold onto the puck forever......if he stresses that I guess it makes sense. Basically though, any system has some structure on who/where to pass/move the puck.....in the past 52 often took too long to make that decision and would be at the end of a lot of players finishing their checks.....most of this has been on 52, and while coaching certainly helps in the end a player has to figure out how to protect himself and still make plays, certainly routine plays.

I think Oates should get a lot of credit for getting 8 and 52 playing like they are.....but on this specific point I think 52 should get a lot of credit.....so i guess I think its less about the x's and o's of a system and more about the player learning.....ive mentioned Larry Murphy a few times in how he really took his game to its top level once he started to be able to quickly read the play while going into the corner on D. Being able to quickly make that first pass is key to limiting the times you get crunched by a forechecker