01-02-2004, 01:18 AM
Alfie#11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
My proposal is simple.

To San Jose: Martin Havlat

To Ottawa: Marco Sturm

Its not going to happen, but here is the reasoning. Ottawa is stacked at the RW position and anemic on the LW. San Jose is not necessarily stacked at the LW position, but they certainly need a 1st line RW.

Flame away. I actually like Sturm a little more, although I believe many GMs would value Havlat more than Marco. Both are fast and have a nose for the net. Sturm appears to be more of a leader to me (JMO).
I don't see the point for Ottawa.

Ottawa doesn't need a top 6 LW. They need a couple of bigger, gritty players that can play on the top 3 lines and a faceoff winning centre. They have enough offence as is. What is needed is players that can and will go to the net and do dirty work for the skilled players. If you look at what Ottawa throws out on the LW it has enough goals. Schaefer is on a 20 goal pace. Smolinski has played on the left side and he's another 20 goal guy. Fisher played LW in the playoffs last year and he's basically a 20 goal guy (15 in 58 and 18 in 74 the last two years). White has played LW and he's another 20 goal guy. Heck, Schastlivy with PP time and ice on the top two lines will score 20 (9 goals in 33 games as the 2nd line LW last year).

Havlat himself can play LW. He plays LW with Bonk and Hossa on the first PP unit.

The need for gritty but capable players is what led the Sens to acquire Varada and put him with Hossa and Bonk. Those two don't need a big scorer with them, rather they need a corner guy. Adding Varada worked - Bonk and Hossa had great playoffs. That's why the Sens were interested in Weimer. A big, tough player with enough ability to ride shotgun alongside the skilled guys.

Changing a skilled guy for another skilled guy doesn't help the Sens.