View Single Post
Old
05-05-2013, 04:07 PM
Bobblehead

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbs View Post
I don't really see how Phaneuf and Kessel play a factor in us trading Kulemin. Kulemin is a UFA when their deals are up so we wouldn't be trading him to free up cap space, he would just walk. Unless of course, the Leafs **** the bed next year and Kulemin is traded at the deadline because we wouldn't need him down the stretch. Even then, I think he'd get more than a 2nd and cond. 3rd.

Edit: rereading your post, I think you mixed up this coming offseason and next offseason. We have 19 mill in capspace this coming offseason. Kessel and Phaneuf aren't UFAs until next offseason.

Let's say we sign some of our upcoming UFAs (Kadri, Bozak, Komarov, Gunnarsson, Franson, Fraser). Buyout Komisarek. We have about 1million in cap space for 2 roster spots, and who knows if Bozak will stay (which frees up cap space), and if Kadri gets as much as 4.5million for only half a season of good play. I (along with other Leafs fans) think the team would buyout Liles or Grabovski if they ran into cap problems.

And yeah, ideally I'd like to keep Orr and/or McLaren, but they don't really do anything too special IMO. They're obviously both very good fighters, but they don't kill penalties, they have little offensive ability, and I question whether they should even be in the lineup on a regular basis (especially in the playoffs). So, if they don't interfere with getting other, more important players signed, then I'd welcome them back with open arms.

FORWARDS
Joffrey Lupul ($5.250m) / Tyler Bozak ($4.500m) / Phil Kessel ($5.400m)
James Van Riemsdyk ($4.250m) / Nazem Kadri ($4.500m) / Nikolai Kulemin ($2.800m)
Leo Komarov ($2.000m) / Mikhail Grabovski ($5.500m) / Matt Frattin ($0.925m)
Jay McClement ($1.500m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Dion Phaneuf ($6.500m) / John-Michael Liles ($3.875m)
Jake Gardiner ($1.117m) / Carl Gunnarsson ($2.500m)
Mark Fraser ($2.000m) / Cody Franson ($3.000m)
GOALTENDERS
James Reimer ($1.800m)
Ben Scrivens ($0.613m)
OTHER
Buyout: Darcy Tucker ($1.000m)
Buyout: Colby Armstrong ($1.000m)
Buyout: Mike Komisarek ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,604,167; BONUSES: $300,000
CAP SPACE (18-man roster): $995,833
That's also assuming LEafs' are comfortable with Scriven's and Reimer.... which will depend on how well/poor they do in this playoff. Even if they do well, Nonis might decide he needs to upgrade.... Hiller? Luogno? Backstrom? Which blows your salary structure out of whack. Bozak may not resign which may frees some up. Its all a bunch of "what ifs". I didn't suggest it was the gospel. KAdri has only had one good year - do the Leafs go SAm Gagner with him and do 1 or 2 years to see if he's the real deal or do they Taylor Hall him and give him a long term, big money deal?? I dunno. Plus, $1MM isn't a whole bunch to sign 2 x 4th liner players. But even then you only have 20 players and teams carry 23 players on their roster.... so you need to add 3 more!! Min salary is $525,000, so you'd have 5 guys making $525K and be well over the cap.

Yes I knew the big problem wasn't this year, but the following season with Dion and Kessel and others...... And maybe Nonis figures, Kulemin isn't part of the plan in 2014-2015, so if someone makes him a reasonable offer, he might decide to bite.... get something for an future UFA while he can. Again what's ifs.... Zubrus is a good consolation prize.

Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote