View Single Post
Old
05-06-2013, 03:38 AM
wraith985

vCash: 500
Sedin's swing at Couture's head - Is this suspendable?

So on the one hand, it's not an elbow to the head like Ference's, and certainly no momentum behind it like Bourque's hit on Conacher tonight. But on the other hand, it's a blatant swing at the head, almost a cross-check (though yes, he only caught him with the butt end of the stick and the piece of the stick above his upper hand, not with the part of the stick between the hands).

I actually don't know what to think about this. I feel like this is something that shouldn't be in the game and that there's no excuse for, but I'm also wondering if this is maybe just barely on the right side of 'chalk it up to playoff hockey'. I don't know if it's just the fact that it's the usually mild-mannered Henrik Sedin and not, say, Matt Cooke that's swaying my thought process. Thoughts?

EDIT: I'm fully aware that Henrik isn't likely to be suspended for this; a fine, if anything at all. I'm fully aware that Henrik isn't exactly Hercules. I'm hoping to have a discussion about the intent of an action and knowingly taking a swing at a guy's head in contexts like these, where it's not a body check and there's clear premeditation involved, and whether the identity of the player that's committing the infraction changes anything (e.g. if this was Raffi Torres, would people be calling for something?).

EDIT 2: I'm basically settled on this being a roughing minor that's a bit on the dirty side, but I'm still undecided whether that's because it's "just" Henrik.

Last edited by wraith985: 05-06-2013 at 05:10 AM.