View Single Post
05-06-2013, 05:59 AM
vCash: 500
So how do we make another dynasty.... Or at least a year in, year out competitive team?

Really hope Bergevin makes some big moves this year and puts his mark on the team. I know we may not need it to be competitive in the short term but I think the team could really benefit from a change in direction. A couple of things we seem to be lacking are high-impact or dominant players. Galchenyuk looks like he could end up being there but isn't ready yet, Subban is likely there, Pacioretty hasn't shown it this year with Desharnais, Markov is too old, Price has it inconsistently, Gallagher sometimes, Bourque has it this playoffs, Emelin before he was injured, Eller is slowly showing flashes, Plekanec off and on...etc.

I think if there was a time to move on from Plekanec, Markov, Gorges, and Gionta, the time is now. This is Martin's leadership group, successful players but potentially not in our future plans. If we were to truly commit to a rebuild, Plekanec and Gorges should be moved now while their value is highest and Markov and Gionta should be moved now so we don't lose them for nothing. I am a big fan of these players and I think Plekanec is a huge part of the team, I just don't think our offence can sustain being built around him for the next four years.

The returns for Plekanec and Gorges would be quite significant, Gionta and Markov could also potentially have good returns. Gorges + for a #2 dman, too scared to make a proposal around Plekanec, Gionta/Markov for 1sts or prospects?

So, some questions for anyone interested:

Is the team capable of doing a full-on restructuring? Is it the best plan of action? Should we build through the draft? Blow it up and go for a top-5 player in the draft or move up and draft Mantha and Gauthier ? Can we be successful adding to the team we have now? Other than Free Agency, how can we get bigger/tougher? Potential homes for Plekanec/Gionta/Markov/Gorges?

This isn't Bergevin's team, I hope he changes that.