View Single Post
Old
05-06-2013, 08:14 AM
Psuhockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I don't think that is the case in this year's first round (all other rounds I am fine going BPA). Normally I have no problem with that. It makes the most sense. But if the BPA is a center, it makes no sense to draft him in the first round of this year's draft (unless you plan on trading one of our other centers). I understand you don't want to draft to fill an NHL need. But I don't have a problem drafting to fill an organizational need. The Flyers have no defensive prospects to speak of. Ghost is years away and in a perfect world best case scenario it looks like he could possibly be a top 4 guy. Other than that, the situation is bleak.

If it comes down to lets say Monahan and one of the defenders on your list, even if Monahan is the better player, I still think you go defense. If the BPA is a winger over a defender, take him. But if the choice is between a center or a defender, I think you have to get defense. Drafting a center doesn't fill a need, doesn't help the team now, and likely doesn't help for years to come and in that situation only when there is a trade (or two) or a position change (or two). It simply doesn't make sense in this year's draft for this team.
I agree the Flyers need defense help bad now and in the future. However if you look around the league, there is a greater portion of good to great defensemen taken after the 1st round than there are good to great forwards. In fact, the majority of the top scorers in the league were lottery picks (1-14), with the percentage growing even higher if you take away the players taken later in the 2003 draft, which was epic for its depth. I want the Flyers to take Pulock or Ristolainen or even trade back if they can get another 1st or high 2nd to invest in more defense. If one of the top forwards falls though like Monahan the Flyers should take them. They hopefully won't be in position to grab a forward of that calibre in many years to come.