View Single Post
Old
05-06-2013, 09:59 AM
Rolex

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I don't think that is the case in this year's first round (all other rounds I am fine going BPA). Normally I have no problem with that. It makes the most sense. But if the BPA is a center, it makes no sense to draft him in the first round of this year's draft (unless you plan on trading one of our other centers). I understand you don't want to draft to fill an NHL need. But I don't have a problem drafting to fill an organizational need. The Flyers have no defensive prospects to speak of. Ghost is years away and in a perfect world best case scenario it looks like he could possibly be a top 4 guy. Other than that, the situation is bleak.

If it comes down to lets say Monahan and one of the defenders on your list, even if Monahan is the better player, I still think you go defense. If the BPA is a winger over a defender, take him. But if the choice is between a center or a defender, I think you have to get defense. Drafting a center doesn't fill a need, doesn't help the team now, and likely doesn't help for years to come and in that situation only when there is a trade (or two) or a position change (or two). It simply doesn't make sense in this year's draft for this team.
It wouldn't surprise me at all to see the Flyers deal Laughton off in a trade for a NHL defenseman and then draft a center like Monahan. The possibilities are out there. Look for Holmgren to be creative and make a move or two that really improves the roster.