View Single Post
Old
01-02-2004, 08:54 AM
True Blue

vCash: 500
Interesting and somewhat alarming article

I refered to this in another thread. This is from yesterday's Star Ledger:

http://www.nj.com/rangers/ledger/ind...0093120650.xml

There are several things in here, which frighten me about Poti.

"Poti has been the subject of trade rumors this season. He struggles sometimes with his defensive role, and with the fact he is not a physical presence around his net. It's not for lack of trying, but Poti's wiry build doesn't let him come out on the winning side of most battles down low. At other times, he is caught out of position, plain and simple. He knows there is talk about his worth to the Rangers, but he tries to put it aside. "

Poti's wiry build? I was not aware that his 6'3", 210 lbs is considered "wiry". Using his size as an excuse as to why he looses most 1 on 1 battles is a joke. He is not only beaten by bigger opponents, but frequently the smaller ones as well.

But here is the creme-de la-creme of the whole article, IMO:

"Questions about his defensive shortcomings are particularly annoying to Poti.

"When you're an offensive guy, and you're not a big physical presence out there, you get criticized for that," he said. "But on the other end, they don't criticize the defensive guys for not scoring. It's a Catch-22, I guess. You just try to take the criticisms and work against them as best you can." "

How in God's green Earth does this clown think that just becuase he is an "offensive" player, he should be immune from criticism about his abhorent defensive play? Maybe the "defensive" guys are not criticezed becuase they do not set up the other team for more goals than their own. Now, granted, maybe I'm misreading some things here. However, I really don't think so.
This reminds me of Bure last year, when he said that you can either be a great goal scorer or be good defensively, but not both. So sorry, Tom that questions about your defensive shortcomings are annoying to you. Maybe you should concentrate a little bit on the DEFENSIVE part of being a DEFENSEman.