Old
05-06-2013, 09:32 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
I agree the Flyers need defense help bad now and in the future. However if you look around the league, there is a greater portion of good to great defensemen taken after the 1st round than there are good to great forwards. In fact, the majority of the top scorers in the league were lottery picks (1-14), with the percentage growing even higher if you take away the players taken later in the 2003 draft, which was epic for its depth. I want the Flyers to take Pulock or Ristolainen or even trade back if they can get another 1st or high 2nd to invest in more defense. If one of the top forwards falls though like Monahan the Flyers should take them. They hopefully won't be in position to grab a forward of that calibre in many years to come.
Guys can certainly be found in the later rounds, but I don't think you want to bank on that. The Flyers prospect pool is essentially empty in terms of defensive prospects, whereas they are overflowing with center prospects. If I'm GM I am targeting defenders in the first round. Now, of course there are scenarios where I would take a center, like let's say for whatever reason Homer and company don't think Risto/Pulock/etc are as good as other scouts do. Then it makes more sense because you don't want to pick a guy you don't think is any good. I am more talking about a situation where you have a board of lets say the 10 best players. #8 is Monahan and #10 is Ristolainen. If they are both available I would take Ristolainen even though I might think Monahan is going to be a better player because Monahan would be redundant on this team. I do understand why others wouldn't go this route though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex View Post
It wouldn't surprise me at all to see the Flyers deal Laughton off in a trade for a NHL defenseman and then draft a center like Monahan. The possibilities are out there. Look for Holmgren to be creative and make a move or two that really improves the roster.
Yeah I could see something like that going on, and that is a scenario where drafting a center over a defender makes more sense.