View Single Post
Old
05-06-2013, 11:24 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Im not even a huge fan of the guy. I just dont think yet another coaching change under the Sather regime will yield many dividends from a results perspective.

The fanbase wants its blood and they want it NOW, but much like Sather, they have no plan for the future.
The irony is that so much of the fanbase wanted Tortorella because his "antics" represented how they felt about the team under Renney. They wanted someone with "fire and accountability" and now those same people are criticizing the way he handles players and how he acts in interviews. It all boils down to the fact that fans want to see someone on the TV who is annoyed as they are while they're sitting on their couch in their living room. People whinge about Cally and Drury for the same reasons. "They suck at being a captain! They don't get mad in interviews!"

I've never been a fan of Torts. I think he's a nice enough guy in person when he's away from the game, but he hates to be "second guessed" by people and has historically shown very little willingness to adapt to different situations. This team isn't stellar, but it's certainly more skilled than the team was last year, and yet he refuses to let up on the reins when it comes to defensive responsibility. I'm all for playing a smart defensive game, but there comes a point where you start to stifle offensive play in favor of defensive perfection.

I thought Laviolette was the ideal coach for this team. He walks the line between hardass and players coach very well. Obviously he's unavailable currently, so maybe give Dallas Eakins a call. See if he'd like to forego the Leafs organization in favor of a head coaching job. He's done a good job developing some of the Leafs younger players and is ready for a shot at the NHL.

Ultimately, I'd like to see the organization turned over to Gorton. Get away from the old boys club and let some new hockey minds get a crack at running the show.