Old
05-06-2013, 11:28 AM
pb1300
#CatsAreComing

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
See I dont think we really have this big glut of forward prospects that are being hurt in terms of development at all (or will have). Most of the guys we have are about 2 yrs or more away from being NHL regulars. We have a few vets that are signed for another 3 yrs so they would have 1 yr left on their deal which is usually a good time to trade a player to get more picks/prospects or address a different need. Having all these guys that are of the same age to develop together shouldnt be a bad thing if you ask me.

Besides, the law of averages say you wont get every single one of them to develop into top 9 NHL forwards anyway. So maybe we get 4-5 of the guys all at the same age to develop into top 9 forwards, that isnt going to be a problem. Waiting until some of these guys develop more wont necessarily be a bad thing because either way, its a crap shoot for us or the acquiring team.

And I've seen & read plenty about Drouin. I dont question what he's done on the ice so far. What many of us question about him and why I, in particular, dont classify him as a player that I want is that we have no idea if he will be able to do the same things against professionals. Many of the moves I've seen in highlights & via feeds, he would rarely be able to do against bigger & faster competition. Plus his defense is still lacking a lot and why he isn't expected to be among the players competing for an NHL spot next yr. I dont know that his defense becomes good enough for the NHL but I would expect it does. Still, I dont get a very good feeling in my gut that he's going to be a top prospect and with all the comparisons, I think he falls short of them (should still be a nice player but not a top line forward).
This is my exact feeling as well. How will his moves transition in the NHL? A lot of his dekes, shots, moves, etc. are successful because while its against skilled hockey players, half of those players will never skate on NHL ice. What also bothers me is this rapid ascension in the rankings from last year. Players that bolt that far up, in so little time, scare me a bit more than players like Jones or Mac, who were top prospects for this draft, last season. Im sure Drouin will turn out to be a great NHL winger, but Im just not sure that he would turn out to be a better NHL player for us, than Jones and Mac.

pb1300 is online now   Reply With Quote