View Single Post
Old
05-06-2013, 06:10 PM
Sinurgy
Rebuilding

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenCoyote View Post
Anyone else mildly annoyed that Abdelkader just got two games for pretty much the same hit that got Torres 25 games last year? Time to let it go, I suppose, but the Department of Player Safety is an embarrassment. Yes, I know Hossa was injured more severely and Torres had history. So, I don't have a problem with a difference in the lengths of the suspensions. Even a major one. As it turns out, I was one of the few who was not apoplectic about the Torres suspension -- even though it severely curtailed our chances against teams like the Kings. As long as it was ushering in an era where the league was dedicated, no matter what the consequence, to have the courage to protect players, I was ok with it.

Not so. They just made an example out of the Torres and now are back to ignoring it. Bourque got nothing for last night's obvious, targeted elbow on the Ottawa game. He didn't even try to disguise it with a hit -- he just held up, waited for a guy to cruise in behind him, and then hit him in the head with his elbow.

Suspending one guy, one time 25 games doesn't do anything in isolation without follow up. It just makes you look like grandstanders. The only message being sent right now is that the league seems to like it -- they know Ottawa/Montreal game 4 will get big ratings now and they aren't going to mess with it. Someone is going to get decapitated.
The Torres situation was just horrible timing. That week several series were reaching critical mass with all kinds of hits/cheap shots/etc. and the always annoying media that normally doesn't even notice the NHL was spewing all kinds of negativity. It was all coming to a head when Torres through that crushing hit and the NHL seized the opportunity to make an example of him. It was complete ********!

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote