Thread: New Cities
View Single Post
Old
01-02-2004, 10:09 AM
Pwk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life
I agree that Winnipeg getting an NHL team is a longshot, but the more I think about it, the more I am convinced it is a definite possiblility. You must look at the Colorado and Minnesota franchises. Both cities had NHL teams that moved because of no corporate support, and a weak fan base. People realized in a few years that they took the North Stars/Rockies for granted. When the NHL returned a decade later, it was the hottest ticket in town.

This is exactly what will happen if the NHL returns to Winnipeg. We have a new arena, corporations that would bend over backwards to support a Winnipeg NHL team because of the gulit associated with not supporting the Jets when they were here. It would be next to impossible to get a ticket for an NHL game, especially in a 15 100 seat arena.

I can't wait until the lockout begins. Sure I will miss watching all my favorite NHL players and teams, but I know in the longrun, it will be beneficial to the NHL and drive down players salaries. Hopefully, it will also drive Bettman out of a job, and relocate teams in markets like Carolina, Nashville, and Anaheim to Winnipeg, Quebec, and Hartford!

I don't no where your getting your info. "You must look at the Colorado and Minnesota franchises. Both cities had NHL teams that moved because of no corporate support, and a weak fan base." Minnesota(north Stars) has alway had good fan support. They left because they(the city) refused to build them a new arena and pour ownership. On top of that the Twin cities has 18 Fortune 500 companies in the area.

Anyways, is there any large corporate base in Winnepeg? I just don't see Winnepeg being able to support a NHL team. Lack of population and lack of Corporate support.