Thread: Speculation: Serge Savard:We need to get bigger
View Single Post
Old
05-06-2013, 11:38 PM
habtastic

vCash: 500
Everyone who goes on about how we need to get bigger do not understand that we are in year 1 of a new GM, with big players in our pipeline (who he did NOT sacrifice for rentals - thank god!!), and who has yet to have an offseason after seeing his team play. Not only that, but he has made moves to clear cap space and it is clear he is going to be retooling.

It's just silly to assume that Bergevin isn't going to make us a big (AND skilled) team. The only thing that sticks out is the DD contract, but I really wonder what Savard's thoughts would be if we had traded him, given he was this bonafied hometown star. Savard cares WAY more about the latter than about size and toughness so his comments are laughable. If there was no pressure to keep DD around, I wonder if Bergevin would have given him that contract. At the time it seemed that DD's play was good enough to justify that pressure.

Point is - We ARE getting bigger, but it will take patience. The fact that we had a great season makes us forget that we have a new philosophy of letting Timmins's work actually blossom. Bet on this draft to produce a lot of that BUT then also be prepared to wait for them to be NHL-ready.

Also, two of our toughest players are out. I don't mean fighting wise, I mean tough. Emelin and Eller are beasts. Don't forget that.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote