View Single Post
05-07-2013, 11:33 AM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by metalfoot View Post
Without wandering too far down the rabbit trail, the Jets name was resurrected more-or-less because of the public pressure, if I recall correctly. Chipman et al had a different name for the team, but the public insisted they were the Jets, so the Jets they were.
Indeed. I can see the same pressure from the QC residents, too, to keep the Nords name.

And very interesting about the 2-weeks thing. I really don't think the CoG is open for old-style business anymore, and the actual costs of running the arena making it onto the front page of the paper really is the end of the gravy train here.
Absolutely. The day that was printed may have been the day the team's move became a fait accompli. That latest newspaper column made it seem like people are lining up to buy the team. But if the city ponies up $5-6 million and the frontrunners balk, the NHL need only get a show of hands from anyone else interested in keeping the team in Glendale to see if that's sufficient. There's no need to keep this circus show going. Once the city puts it out there what exactly they will be willing to pay, I would think the suitors will drop like flies except the ones who want to move the team.