View Single Post
Old
05-07-2013, 03:14 PM
Hammer Time

vCash: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
Resorting to making up stuff is embarrassing. Yakupov was never allowed to run around trying to score. That's why his point totals didn't blow every other rookie's out of the water.

Nobody should care about team success when judging the Calder. It's not a team award and rookies are generally not the best players on their team. Even a rookie Crosby (who oddly enough didn't win the Calder) with 100+ points couldn't bring the Penguins past 29th in the league.

If Saad formed a potent unit with a superstar, Yakupov formed a potent unit with non-superstars. Saad is a joke of a pick. It should be Brodin, Yakupov, and Gallagher
Couldn't you just as well say that Saad played well enough that he earned his 1st line minutes? I mean, coaches usually don't randomly put rookies on a line with their superstar centre. If Yakupov wasn't playing in the top 6 until April, to me that's more of a negative as in "he wasn't good enough to play with the skill players quite yet".

For the record, I think Brodin should have won the trophy. Top pairing, stabilizing influence on Suter, and leading all rookies in ice time.