View Single Post
Old
05-07-2013, 04:19 PM
kasper11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
five words I am relieved to hear/read. When a fan is willing to let a kid become a man, we have a chance. When a kid types, "let's see what he can do/he's done all he could at that level/he was great in camp, so..../he's better than Boyes," I see someone trying hard to ruin a young player's development.

Well, through magic internet powers.

Maybe someone all gung ho to bring up Reinhart can read the above statement and focus on the word, "ready."

A soufflé is always best when it's done. Think about that fact a bit.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the "let's see what he can do" scenario IF the player has earned that right either in camp or in the AHL.

Most teams have no problem bringing up young players. Chicago gave Brandon Saad and Andrew Shaw a chance and they ran with it and helped the team to the best record in hockey. LA won a Cup with Drew Doughty and Kyle Clifford, neither of whom spent a day in the AHL. Montreal had a great season thanks in large part to Alex Galchenyuk at 18 years old. Boston put Tyler Seguin into the lineup as an 18 year old and won the Cup. This year they kept 19 year old Dougie Hamilton. Anaheim let Cam Fowler play as an 18 year old, and they finished with the 2nd best record in the West.

There is no way to know who is ready and who isn't. That is why the NHL has the 10 game rule, to let teams figure it out. The problem is when players are outright handed a spot like Bailey and Nino were.

Brandon Saad is the perfect example. Chicago liked what they saw in camp after his draft year, kept him up for a couple of games, let him see what the game was like, and then sent him back down when it was clear they didn't have a role for him. He came back this year and earned another chance based on his AHL play, they gave him a shot and he took it and ran with it. It didn't matter that he was only 20 years old.

And for the record, I am nowhere near convinced that bringing up a player too early ruins their development. Seems to me that guys like Bailey and Nino are producing at about the levels we would expect.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote