View Single Post
Old
09-22-2006, 02:25 PM
SML

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Sadly, the time to trade Jagr was last year. Don't get me wrong, I love the season he had for us...but now I just don't see it happening.
Gotta chime in here... I think you are wrong. Why trade Jagr last season? Why trade him this season? Because of his unique contract situation, Jagr is not only one of the best players in the league, but is without question one of the best players, dollar value wise, in the league as well. He's under contract for this season, plus 2 more with the last one being an option year of which I'm not sure who has the option. Where are you going to get a guy who is a top 5 talent and came an inch away from winning the scoring title for under 5 million? In the pre-cap NHL, Jagr was a bargain. In the post-cap NHL, he is an absolute steal. The only thing that makes him possible to trade at this time is his production slipping, which would also lower his value. You simply have to keep this guy. If we were paying his whole check, I understand, but we are getting a bona fide superstar for 50 cents on the dollar. Why would you get rid of that? The time to move the guy is either at the deadline this year if we're out of it, or the following year at the same time if we're out of it, for a king's ransom to a true contender. The earlier he gets dealt, the more, IMO, we should be able to get back for him. But I'd ride this train to the last stop if I were the Rangers.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote