View Single Post
Old
01-02-2004, 01:25 PM
Badger Bob

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame
I'm not too sure I agree with that. What can Gilmour offer over someone like Craig Conroy or Dave Lowry? Motivation through nostalgic reasoning? Gilmour attempting to make a comeback with the Flames has nothing to do with gameplay and everything to do with PR. He cannot skate anymore, he can barely play a physical game given his injury-riddled body, and will probably only be able to provide minimal offense, which is an even bigger need than finding an aging center. And also, if three or four teams are bidding on his services, whose to say he'll play for the game and not the money? What if those other teams are teams like Detroit, Toronto, or the Rags who could probably offer twice as much as Calgary? It's hogwash to disregard his contract demands. If he really wants to play in Calgary because he loves the hockey played here, then I'm not a believer until Sutter himself announces it in a press conference that he'll play in a Flames jersey.

I'm not saying Gilmour is backwards step; but he is only a stop-gap measure that the Flames could spend more wisely on.
Gilmour:
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/players.../00001915.html

Lowry:
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php3?pid=3217

Conroy:
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...=TRUE&pid=1078

If this rumor has any substance, it sounds as though Gilmour, or his agent, contacted the 3 clubs, not the other way around . So, whether that would lead to a bidding war is debateable. He's already demonstrated that he never returned strictly as a mercenary. Last time this happened, he wanted to play closer to Kingston. Only Montreal, Ottawa & Toronto that fit that specification - 2/3rds of which aren't exactly free spending franchises. (He left Bufffalo on very bad terms.) We can reasonably assume that playing in that mess in NYC, is not the type of situation he's considering.

Of course it would be a stop-gap move. That's what GM's do at the March trade deadline. They attempt to acquire players who will either help them qualify for the playoffs, or assist them to drive into deeper rounds. It's kind of a nice change to be discussing this possibility, from a Flames perspective, after New Year's, isn't it?

If not for Michel Therrien's meltdown, the Canadiens might well have made it to the Eastern Conference finals, two years ago, instead of Carolina. Apart from some seriously hot goaltending by Jose Theodore, Doug Gilmour was arguably the next biggest reason for their surprising run.

Anyway, let's see how this all plays out before speculating too much more here. If this comes to pass, all we have to do is look at which teams express interest. If serious contenders are involved, then they must believe that he's got something to offer more than poor skating, with minimal offensive abilities on an injury-riddled, aging body. If money is the main consideration, then let him sign for the bucks.

Stay tuned to Satellite Hot Stove on Saturday night.