View Single Post
05-08-2013, 07:07 AM
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Originally Posted by JABEE View Post
I think a priority this offseason should be resigning Matt Read. I think he's a player you win with and I don't want to see him hitting the open market after this season. He's still young and versatile. He can play on a shut down line or be an offensive threat on a top line. He has a great set of hands, a nice shot, and he is fast.

I would also be try talking to Nashville this summer and find out if there is a possibility Weber could be moved.

I don't see a way that the Flyers can add a top pairing defenseman this off season without giving up a lot.

Bring in a new coach and make it a priority to find someone that will not use Couturier exclusively in a shutdown role. I think a lot of Couturier's struggles this year are due to the fact that Laviolette is leaning on him so hard to play this one role. When he makes a mistake his minutes get cut.

Couturier is used to be a top offensive player. You can't just use him exclusively as a defensive forward. At some point, you have to give him a chance to succeed in other roles.

Let's hope Nichushkin slides in the draft.
Read is a must in re-signing, but he will cost probably around 4 a season which could be hard for the Flyers to do. Not to be smart, but who do you want to be our shutdown center if not Couturier? He is the best we have to play that role and his offense just isn't there yet. I don't mind him starting out in that role and then seeing if he can improve his skating and scoring as the seasons go on.