View Single Post
05-08-2013, 09:31 AM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
If Diaz still holds the value he did at the start of the year, I think I'd be okay with replacing him with Beaulieu next year. He really hasn't done well since his concussion and I think Beaulieu would bring much the same impact on our team in regards to PP and offensive ability. There's potential for us to protect his minutes similar to what we've done with Galcheyuk at forward. This all depends on what type of return Diaz would have. There was a discussion on the Rumours/Proposals page as well as someone just brought it up again about Coburn.

Diaz + Ellis + MTL 3rd

This is from The Hockey News

Assets: Moves very well for a 6-5, 220-pound defender and owns both shutdown and all-around qualities. Is capable of logging big minutes and playing on either side of the ice. Can rush up ice with the puck.
Flaws: Doesn't use his huge frame enough to his advantage, which limits his effectiveness. Is somewhat timid in the offensive zone, too. Could stand to play more consistently in all facets of the game.
Career Potential: Big-minute defenseman with excellent size and skating ability.

With Markov declining, I believe Coburn could fill in as our potential #2 (#1 on second pairing) defenceman. He hasn't had a good year this year but I'm sure he can turn it around. We need this type of player and we need someone who can play those minutes. Considering Emelin is likely out for the start of the season:

Beaulieu (Protected minutes)

I have a problem with going all in on players like Clowe and Clarkson in this years Free Agency. Their deals could potentially severely handicap the team for the next 6 years. Considering we are a rebuilding team and looking to add to the core that will compete in ~2 years as their production plummets, I am not interested in adding them as apparent saviours in our top-6. Look at what happened with Cole, big contract after 30 for a powerforward who doesn't even have to worry about the effects of fighting... total garbage 2 years in. What I can get behind is adding another player to our roster who brings toughness and grit.

Cal Clutterbuck would be a huge benefit to the amount of toughness on our team. Very similar to Prust and perhaps similar to a forward version of Emelin. He's a type of player that teams look out for when he hits, he's got an okay offensive game and can be relied upon defensively. According to these boards, he'll be asking for too much money and could be available. Any idea what he'd cost?

Two moves, team toughness has a big increase. Unfortunately the team's offence takes a hit.

Beaulieu (Emelin IR)
I do not think we need major tweaking on the back end. Our game is about speed, this is the identity of the team and it when we are playing our style there are very few teams that can cope with our speed. I think we need to keep that in mind. Diaz is part of that speed game, he is a smart passer and a RH D to top it all. We should keep him and hopefully he will build on the success he had this year. I see him as the ideal partner for Tinnordi. In my opinion we need to start relying less on Markov and prepare his departure. Perhaps playing Beaulieu in his spot once a while ... Markov could give us a very nice return when come trade deadline next year.

I do not see any issue with the following pairing next year ...
Emelin, Subban
Tinnordi, Diaz
Markov, Georges