Old
05-08-2013, 10:33 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qyburn View Post
Before I read the article last week, I'm pretty sure I was close to turning the corner on the headshot/concussion issue, but didn't realize it. The article just made it click. One year ago I absolutely would have defended the Gryba hit to the death and would have said it's ridiculous for him to get even one game. I've been afraid the league would start to look like a kiddie league. But now I think that was a huge overreaction. I think it'll be fine with just making an exception for that one type of play involving that one body part. I don't think there will ever be a shortage of immensely satisfying hits like B Schenn on P Martin. And if they do decrease a little in frequency, they'll just be that much more exciting when they do happen. Same principle behind preferring hockey to sports where there's tons of scoring (and the mild "good job, go team" cheers that accompany each score).
The turning point for me with Lindros came sometime in 2005 when a high schooler from back home died because they got concussed in a car accident, then the next day (while home from school) they practiced heading a soccer ball by letting it roll off a roof. That was the "wow, I guess concussions are serious business" moment for me.