View Single Post
Old
05-08-2013, 02:05 PM
Bobblehead

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 View Post
Nope, didn't have this issue on our teams. If you were hurt, you were hurt. Smelling salts went out a long time ago. There is something different in the game if people are really getting this many concussions.
My point was that we are better at identifying possible concussions. There' s more of an awareness too. Are there really more injuries than before? No one can know for sure. There is no data from minor hockey concussions in the 1980s and that data would be flawed. So one can't compare to what it was without that data.

I think the severity of the injuries has gone up and our awareness also. And yes the game has changed. Players are much bigger and much faster, yet the ice size stayed the same. Padding has gone from felt and foam to hard plastic. I can't say 100% for sure that those are the reasons and that incidents are up, but I'm pretty sure they are. Part of it is how the game and players have changed, part of it is our awareness and the diagnosis.

I don't think players leave their feet any more or less than before, but I really have no studies to back it up becuase I don't think that data will ever exist. Equipment, speed, size of players, more awareness and better diagnosis..... they all contribute in varying degrees....

Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote