View Single Post
Old
05-08-2013, 01:12 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
My point was that we are better at identifying possible concussions. There' s more of an awareness too. Are there really more injuries than before? No one can know for sure. There is no data from minor hockey concussions in the 1980s and that data would be flawed. So one can't compare to what it was without that data.

I think the severity of the injuries has gone up and our awareness also. And yes the game has changed. Players are much bigger and much faster, yet the ice size stayed the same. Padding has gone from felt and foam to hard plastic. I can't say 100% for sure that those are the reasons and that incidents are up, but I'm pretty sure they are. Part of it is how the game and players have changed, part of it is our awareness and the diagnosis.

I don't think players leave their feet any more or less than before, but I really have no studies to back it up becuase I don't think that data will ever exist. Equipment, speed, size of players, more awareness and better diagnosis..... they all contribute in varying degrees....
I'm inclined to believe it is play along the boards. Even young NHLers now play with their backs to the play all the time. My generation of minor hockey players were the last group to be truly taught that you don't go into the corner this way. It results in a totally different danger zone near the boards and has fundamentally changed the game. Unfortunately it will only get worse until there's a major change to reverse the trend.

One positive is that there's less stick work now. This is abundantly obvious even playing in a rec league, as sub-30 teams will generally play an energetic, but mostly clean game while 40+ teams spend the entire game swinging sticks to compensate for their inability to bodycheck.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote