View Single Post
Old
05-08-2013, 01:15 PM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
He lacks mobility for a first unit guy that'll be part of the offense, not just 'add to it' like we have now. That's one of this teams biggest problems IMO. Mcilrath obviously not being rushed, I think they want him to mature physically this last year and earn while pushing the regs the next few seasons. If that's the case he's destined to start with baby steps, 5th/6th Dman on a deep defensive squad is a great start.

Skjei is like, a baby, I don't have any immediate plans for the kid except 'play, play hard and earn it'.

If it were so easy to switch a lefty to right I'd be fine with just bringing along Del Z and hope he's gonna eventually mature into that spot, which is how I see it now really. I can also see Stralman being a strong #4 on the right side, too early to count him out, especially since he's had two good back to back seasons in which he's improved and still on the younger side of the game.
You keep saying that McIlrath lacks mobility but the kid was playing 1st pairing in the AHL as a rookie after having to sit out with a serious knee injury for months. To me, that leads to the belief that he can cut it, at least, as a top-4 d-man in the future. If not more.

Brooks Orpik is a top pairing d-man. So was Douglas Murray for a while.