View Single Post
Old
05-08-2013, 01:56 PM
Billybaroo*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats432 View Post
Sounds like a few people here without kids.

My son isn't elite, although trying out for Rep. I really don't see a problem with it, because kids get concussions in Peewee. Regularly.

In our first game this past season, one of our 2nd years gave two kids concussions on the other team, one out for the season.

One of our kids has had four concussions over two seasons. My son had a minor one as well. (Meaning that it only affected him for a day or two.)

The benefit, for me, is that kids should be stronger on their skates, better with the puck, and more agile to avoid the crushing checks.

Although, if I were making the decision, I would eliminate checking in lower divisions, and not categorize it by age. For Edmonton by example, I would allow hitting in Tier 4 and up starting in Peewee, or maybe bring it down to Atom.

I think the problem is having hockey players that lack the skill, agility and awareness to properly handle hitting.
Lots of people here have kids. Me included. Just becauise we disagree with the decision doesnt mean their opinion or how they value their kids is any less than yours.
My kid has played "rep" hockey for basically his whole career of 8 years. The concussions are few & far between that I have seen. In my opinion this is simply an extension of the nanny state we are in. Its a contact sport. Stuff is going to happen. Just enforce the rules . Like, should football outlaw tackilng, play at the line?
Furthuremore most anybody who has ever watched bantam hockey would tell you with the massive size differential its about the worst time to institute checking. As well, kids at that age are just starting to be idiots, for lack of a better word.
I fuind it curious that Hockey Alberta absolutly ignored its constiuents (the parents) & its member orgaizations & did what it always wanted to do anyways. They could have taken a more thoughtful approach, such as :
1) making year specificc league as they do down east
2) excepting out rep hockey from the rule
3) expand the no hit leagues

Instead, they take the risk management approach. Its frankly ridiculous.

Billybaroo* is offline   Reply With Quote